Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yep, I'm a Hippie

April 27th 2010

I was talking with my daughter's boyfriend Oleg on Sunday about how we started composting and his comment was that we were modern day Hippies. It was funny, but he was really interested in what we were doing and I explained how we separate the Kitchen scraps and I keep a bucket outside the kitchen door to store it until I move it out to the composter.

I started collecting pallets to build my own composter until I came across this at the local home supply store for less than $40. I have been reading up on this subject and have wanted to start composting for a while and I finally started, its still a learning process for us as we go along and can't wait to see the outcome.


I remember being on my grandparents farm in Alabama as a young kid and there being a compost pile that was a mountain out in the field behind the barn. Kitchen scraps always went to the pigs. I have great memories of that farm and spending my summer vacations working and playing on it. Melissa talks about her grandma keeping a bowl in the kitchen for the scraps and how it went to the chickens.

I don't consider us modern hippies, I do feel that we need to try and make a difference small as it may be, it's not going to go to the dump or down our garbage disposal but be used in our flower beds and garden.

Our garden will go in after Mothers Day, Tomato's, Peppers, Beans and squash, fresh from the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello,
This is Bob & Melissa's Blog. We will try and keep it updated, be patient, this is all new to us.

TJ Protector of this Domain